Thursday, November 10, 2011

Performative Utterance in Hamlet

Performative utterance plays an important role in both Hamlet the character and Hamlet the play.  It allows us to see into Hamlets psyche and progresses the play as Hamlet is deciding whether or not to act.  Performative utterance doesn’t only affect the play, it affects our own thought and the world around us.  The ability to hear our own thoughts allows us to shape the way we think.  Performative utterance shapes the theme of the play and our lives.
    The role of performative utterance is very important towards understanding the play, Hamlet.  Hamlet shows this importance throughout the six major soliloquies in the play.  Through these soliloquies, the audience is able to see the tough decisions that Hamlet must go through inside of his head.  Each day for Hamlet is a struggle over the ordeals that have occurred to him and what he must do to fix them.  It is never clear to Hamlet and their is always a gray area where Hamlet cannot decide what is right to do.  This also drives the play and the drama around Hamlet.  Hamlet’s conflicts also control the other characters.  The other characters throughout the play wonder what Hamlet is up to and why is he has gone mad.  This makes them create plans that possibly stop Hamlet from executing his own plans in the manner that best suits him.
    Performative utterance reflects on our lives and the world we live in.  I often reflect on my thoughts and find that some are relevant to the topic while others are not.  This allows me to establish the relevant from the irrelevant.  As I write this essay, I am constantly reviewing my thoughts and presenting them in the best manner that I know possible.  Even during class discussions, I am reforming my thoughts as new information is presented and using performative utterance to combine my old thoughts and these new thoughts into my own way of thinking.  While studying Hamlet, I often reflected on my own thoughts as Hamlet had.  These ideas exist inside of each person’s mind which allows us to collectively change the world around us.
    Performative utterance is an important concept to understand in Hamlet and a key element in life.  It allows Hamlet to reflect on his thoughts of current and events and allows the audience to get a sense of Hamlet’s controversy.  This is also important in life when people need to see or hear their thoughts.  Performative utterance is the reason Hamlet is who he is and the reason we are who we are.  It distinguishes each person from one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment