Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In Search Of

I learned from this video that the filter bubble is limiting the information we receive. Instead of getting all the information we should see, we will only see the information that is relevant and understandable to us.  The video makes me wonder how long this filter bubble has been in place and whether my entire life searching the web has been personally tailored to me.  Where can I find the information im not getting?  Why is the filter bubble in place for those who do not want it?  Now when I search the web I would wish to use a search engine that does not have a filter bubble if one such exists.  After redoing my Shakespeare search, I realize that wikipedia is the first link because I will often use Wikipedia for research.  There is also a complete works of Shakespeare which makes sense since I often google books.  Though I am confused because I have a link to a fishing tackle store, and, though i love to fish, I have never made that apparent over the internet.  I wonder which factor causes Google to think that should be one of the top links for me whether it be my computer or location.

No comments:

Post a Comment